EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES - TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
Full-Time; Exempt Status
Reports to: Executive Director, Waterville Opera House
The Technical Director supports the technical operations of the Waterville Opera House by managing the set shop, developing scenic budgets, and allocating resources in conjunction with the Production Manager. The Technical Director works closely with the Production Manager to meet the technical needs of other Opera House programming, such as concerts and outside rentals.
• Works with the Production Manager to ensure stage area is safe, clean, and maintained
• Creates working drawings for all scenic builds
• Oversees and approves rigging
• Oversees and leads scenic builds and painting
• Determines scenic build costs and is part of design approval with Production Manager and Director
• Assists with all load-in/out and setup of events and concerts
• Under the direction of the Production Manager, ensures set shop is safe, clean, and maintained
• Maintains inventory of equipment and sets up maintenance schedule
• Works with Production Manager setting build and install schedules
• Maintains furniture inventory
• Conducts monthly safety checks within building, including inspecting seats, railings, stairs and, other infrastructure
• Other duties as assigned; lock up duties as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree preferred. At least 5 years of related experience in and a working knowledge of the production of performing arts events, including theatre carpentry, rigging, sound, and electrics. At least 3 years of supervisory experience.
• Experience with using the tools required for carpentry, electrics, and rigging (i.e. lighting consoles, power tools, saws, etc.)
• Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal, and team building skills.
• Strong organizational, budget management, time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to create, read, and interpret drafting, such as scenic drawings, stage plots, and light plots.
• Must have computer skills including Microsoft Office.
• Ability to self-motivate and work independently with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
• Ability to work on ladders and personal man lifts.
• High standards of safety procedures + protocols.
• Flexible attitude within various roles.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• This position requires availability for working shifts during nights and weekends.
Work is performed in a general office environment. Light lifting (up to 75 pounds) required. Full range of physical mobility including walking, sitting, standing, stooping, carrying, reaching and manual dexterity is required.
Waterville Creates (WC) seeks qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences to apply for the opportunity to join our team. WC is committed to building a more equitable work environment that includes a wide array of voices. We believe a diverse workforce strengthens our organization by increasing representation, expanding access, and building a strong creative coalition for the work we undertake. Waterville Creates is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary: $50-55,000, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Waterville Creates offers a comprehensive employer-paid benefits package that includes health, dental, and disability insurance, a simple IRA match, and paid PTO.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and three references to [email protected] Include “Technical Director” in the subject line.
Position open until filled.